These beautiful Japonism Pastel papers and Natural Laser Cut Embellishment products were designed to honor the influence of Japanese art on western culture and feature both natural themes and subtle graphics in soft hues.
It was fun showing you how to do a few paper folding techniques, and incorporating them into the borders as well.
Create a few of your own borders, and share with us on social media using #creativememories .
To make these borders you’ll need:
- Japonism Pastel Paper Pack
- Natural Laser Cut Embellishments
- White and Eggplant Cardstock
- Original Border Maker System with Sprout, Picket Fence, Medallion Frame Chain, Scallop Dot and Circle Weave Cartridges
- Doily Border Punch
- Cherry Blossom Punch
- 12-inch Straight Trimmer
- 12-inch Decorative Trimmer
- Custom Cutting System with Circle and Rectangle Patterns
- Multi-Purpose Tool
- Tape Runner with Repositionable Tape Runner Refill
- Foam Squares
- Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of orange paper for the base. Cut a 1-1/4″ x 12″ strip of white cardstock and mount it 1/4″ from the top of the base.
- Using the sprout cartridge, punch a border each with green and dark teal papers. Mount them on the white strip, weaving them together slightly as shown.
- Punch a doily border with violet/pink paper and a scrap of white cardstock. Cut apart the flowers and add two violet and one pink to the sprout vine. Add a contrasting “dot” to the centers. Punch a pink cherry blossom; top with a white flower and violet “dot”.
- Using the inside of the smaller rectangle pattern and the green blade, cut a dark teal shape. Cut a violet shape using the red blade. Mount teal on top of violet and top with “Memory” die cut. Add to border with foam squares. Finish with cherry blossom shape.
- Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of dark teal paper for the base.
- Using the picket fence cartridge, punch a border with gray paper. Trim to 1-3/4″ x 12″ and punch the other side. (Tip: Secure edge with sticky notes.) Mount on top of the base.
- Cut a 1-1/2″ x 12″ strip of light blue paper, then cut a 1″ x 12″ strip of green paper and mount on top of the light blue strip. Add to the border.
- Cut two 3/8″ x 12″ strips of dark teal/light blue paper. Apply one edge at an angle to the left bottom edge of the green strip. Fold at the top of the green strip and continue folding, creating a zig zag pattern across the green strip. Add the second strip and keep on til the end. Mount with repositionable tape runner and trim edges.
- Cut a light blue circle using the blue blade on the inside of the largest circle pattern. Punch two gray cherry blossoms. Add to the border, including the “Family” and trimmed daisy cluster die cuts, as shown.
- Cut a 2-1/2″ x 12″ strip of violet paper for the base. Cut a 1-3/4″ x 12″ strip of light blue/purple squares paper.
- Using the medallion frame chain cartridge, punch two borders with eggplant cardstock. Apply repositionable tape runner and mount between strips, tucking each behind an edge of the blue paper, as shown.
- Using the swell edge of the decorative trimmer and green paper, cut several “blades” of grass. Add to the border, aligning from the bottom. Top with the butterfly die cut and eggplant “cutouts” from the medallion frame chain borders.
- Using the scallop dot cartridge, punch a border with light blue paper. Trim to 3″ x 12″ and punch the other side. Punch another border with violet paper; trim to 2-5/8″ x 12″ and punch the other side. Line up the second row of blue “holes” with the first row of violet “holes” and attach. Trim overhang and add extra to the bottom of the border.
- Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of purple arcs paper and add to the top of the border.
- Cut a 5-1/2″ x 6″ piece of pink floral paper. Line up one short end at the 60 degree mark on the straight trimmer and cut an angle. Fold the paper up into a fan shape, pressing the creases well. Mount to the border as shown. Top the straight fan edge with cherry blossoms and a floral die cut shape mounted with foam squares.
- Cut a 2-3/8″ x 12″ strip of dark purple floral paper for the base. Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of cream/purple patterned paper and mount on top of the base.
- Using the circle weave cartridge, punch two violet borders. Cut a 3/4″ x 12″ strip of white cardstock. Tuck violet borders behind the white strip and add to the border.
- Using the wavy edge of the decorative trimmer, cut four green “leaves”. With a ruler and the tip of the multi-purpose tool, mark a center edge of each leaf and fold. Apply opened leaves along the white strip as shown.
- Using the inside of the largest circle pattern and the blue blade, cut a violet circle. Using the inside of the medium circle pattern and the red blade, cut a dark purple floral circle and mount on top of violet circle. Add floral wreath die cut and mount to the center of the border with foam squares.