Have you ever had a pet fish? Fish can truly be wonderful pets for people who might not have a lot of time or physical space to devote to a perhaps more high-maintenance companion animal. And they can be good “starter pets” to teach young kiddos the responsibility of caring for a pet, too! Blog contributor Sachiyo Omitsu and her family have a little fishie they absolutely love — so much so that Sachiyo made a fun DIY paper fish tank project to put in her albums! Let’s take a creative dive, shall we?
We have a friendly pet fish named Blackie. Since he’s the only pet fish we currently have, our kids are asking for another fish so that Blackie won’t be lonely. We may welcome a friend fish in the future, but until then, Blackie has an imaginary friend in this fish tank craft. Do you have a home aquarium?
To create this layout you will need:
- Vitamin Sea Paper Pack or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Vitamin Sea Tone-on-Tone Paper Pack or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Vitamin Sea Embossed Embellishments or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Vitamin Sea Laser Cut Borders or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Navy Cardstock or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Original Border Maker System with the Kissing Fish Chain & Clouds Border Maker Cartridges or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Custom Cutting System with Circle Patterns or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Double Wave Tearing Tool or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- All-Purpose Scissors or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Repositionable Tape Runner or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Foam Squares or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Black Dual-Tip Pen or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
Step 1: Using the Clouds Border Maker Cartridge, punch a border from the teal patterned paper and pale blue patterned paper.
Step 2: Put the pale blue patterned paper on the teal patterned paper, about 1/8″ from the edge. Cut using the outside of the largest Custom Cutting System Circle Pattern with the Green Blade, leaving 1/2″ uncut from the clouds design side. Trim the clouds design side of the teal patterned paper along the curve with the All-Purpose Scissors.
Step 3: Place the largest Custom Cutting System Circle Pattern on the pale blue patterned paper in the center of the already cut circle, then cut a circle using the outside of the Circle Pattern with the Red Blade, leaving 1/2″ uncut. Trim the clouds design side along the curve with the All-Purpose Scissors.
Step 4: Tear a piece of the sand patterned paper to measure 1″ x 12″ with the Double Wave Tearing Tool and adhere it to the bottom of the pale blue fish tank. Trim the excess. Adhere the pale blue fish tank to the teal one.
Step 5: Using the Kissing Fish Chain Border Maker Cartridge, punch a border from Navy Cardstock. Cut out two fish as shown.
Step 6: Adhere the fish, Vitamin Sea Laser Cut Border and Embossed Embellishments in the fish tank, using Foam Squares on some for added dimension. Draw some bubbles with the Black Dual-Tip Pen.
Will you be trying out this fun DIY paper fish tank project for your layouts? It might just be the fin-ishing touch your project needs! Let us know in the comments below!
13 thoughts on “Add a Fin-ishing Touch to Layouts With This DIY Paper Fish Tank Project”
Yes I am. Can’t wait to try it
That is the cutest and most original idea I have seen.
that is just about the cutest thing EVER!!!
This is so cute!
Oh my gosh! This is so awesomely cute!!
But how did you make the snails?
OMGoodness this is so stinkin cute!!!
Jacque, it’s one of the laser cut border embellishments. I cut with scissors.
The “snails” are cut from the Vitamin Sea laser borders
I love this but what did you use in the left bottom corner?
Thanks Melanie, it’s one of the laser cut border embellishments. I cut with scissors.
Is that real sand that you glued on the bottom?