Raise of hands — who knows how to embroider? With simple stitches, this form of art allows you to make decorative pillows for your sofa, custom handbags, clothing, tablecloths, towels and more. Blog contributor Sachiyo Omitsu learned how to embroider from her grandmother, and paid tribute to this historic pastime by creating this embroidery scrapbook technique — it’s sew stunning! Hoop to it!
When I was little, my grandma taught me many life skills like cooking, baking, knitting, sewing and miscellaneous crafts. If grandma had not taught me those skills, I’m not sure I’d be doing what I’m doing today! Embroidery is one of those skills she taught me. She always encouraged me to create and brought me crafty things to make. The skills that she taught me still connect us, even though she’s been gone for some years.
To create this layout you will need:
- Happy Camper Paper Pack or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Happy Camper Embellishments or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Happy Camper Stickers or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Bronze Shimmer Green, Crimson & Platinum Shimmer Solid Cardstocks or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Circle Cutter or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia) — Returning September
- 12-inch Trimmer or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- All-Purpose Scissors or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Repositionable Tape Runner or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Foam Squares or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Brown Dual-Tip Pen or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
Step 1: Use a piece of Crimson Solid Cardstock as the base.
Step 2: Draw a line vertically, connecting the midway points. Draw a line horizontally at 5″ from the top. Set the Circle Cutter dial at 9″, align the pin on the intersection point and cut a circle. Set the dial at 8.6″, align the pin at the same intersection point and cut a circle. Set aside the ring. Trim all four sides of the paper by 1/8″. Adhere to the base cardstock.
Step 3: Cut off a piece of the ring — about 1/2″ width. Using the Circle Cutter and the topography paper, cut a circle from the middle with 9″ set on the dial. Add the circle and ring to the page.
Step 4: Mark at 5″ from the top and 6″ from the side of the paper. Use this as the middle point to draw lines. Set the Circle Cutter dial at 10″ and align onto the marked middle. Insert the Brown Dual-Tip Pen (fine tip) in the pen slot, hold the Circle Cutter and draw a curved line. Shift the dial at 11″ and draw another curved line. Draw stitch lines for fun.
Step 5: Cut the following shapes from Platinum Shimmer Solid Cardstock:
- 1/4″ x 1″ (2 pieces)
- 1/4″ x 1/2″ (2 pieces)
Cut the following shapes from Bronze Shimmer Solid Cardstock:
- 1/8″ x 2-1/2″
- 1/4″ x 3/8″
- 1/2″ x 1/2″ (Draw groove lines with the Black Dual-Tip Pen.)
Assemble the embroidery hoop as shown.
Step 6: Cut three photo mats from the fire red plaid paper, measuring 3-1/2″ x 3-1/2″. Add to the page.
Step 7: Adhere stickers and embellishments, using Foam Squares on some for added dimension.
Do you like to embroider? What are your thoughts on this embroidery scrapbook technique?