Have you tried making borders, but find that they don’t really shine the way you want them to? Well, with the Mermaid Cove collection you can make borders that literally shine! Check out how blog contributor Krislyn was able to create three different sparkling scrapbook borders that each look like a treasure!
I’m not sure if I’ve ever giggled so much while making borders before! The Mermaid Cove collection is too much fun. The color-soaked underwater papers, sparkly foiled embellishments, adorable mermaids and funny sea creatures sucked me in. But the puns the clever designer Carrie crafted into the stickers and mats are just infectious and giggle-worthy. Needless to say, I was ready to dive right in and create some sea-worthy borders!
To create these borders you’ll need:
- Mermaid Cove Paper Pack, Variety Mat Pack, Foiled Embellishments & Stickers
- Aqua and Platinum Shimmer Cardstock
- Scallop Border Punch
- Winter Vine Border Punch
- Original Border Maker System with Sunshine Border Maker Cartridge
- 12-inch Straight Trimmer
- 12-inch Decorative Trimmer
- Custom Cutting System with Circle Patterns
- Tape Runner with Repositionable Tape Runner Refill
- Foam Squares
Under the Sea Border
- Punch a border with aqua patterned paper and the Scallop Border Punch. Trim to 3″ wide and punch the other side. This will be your base.
- Cut a 2-3/8″ x 12″ strip of deep-sea patterned paper. Mount over the scallop base so that just the scallops show on either side.
- Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of sparkly patterned paper. Using the inside of the smallest Circle Pattern and the Red Blade, cut four circles. Cut the first two 1/2″ in from each end and then the second two circles 1/2″ in from those, making sure to center the pattern on the strip. Apply Foam Squares liberally and mount this piece on the border. Have fun filling the holes with sea creature stickers and bubbles!
- Using the inside of the Medium Circle Pattern and the Red Blade, cut a circle from aqua patterned paper. Mount the “Under the Sea” foiled embellishment on it and place on the border, 1/2″ up from the second circle from the bottom. Tuck a seaweed embellishment behind it. Mount the pretty pink mermaid foiled embellishment on top with Foam Squares as shown.
100% Mermaid Border
- Cut a 3-1/2″ x 12″ strip of scalloped patterned paper for the base. Cut a 2-1/2″ x 12″ strip of lavender patterned paper and mount on top, 1/4″ down from the top of the base.
- Using the wavy edge of the Decorative Trimmer, center a piece of fish patterned paper (light side) with the left edge at the 2-3/4″ mark and cut. Then, scoot the paper over to the dark side, align the right edge at the 1-1/2″ mark and cut. Adhere the light-colored piece along the top edge of the lavender paper and the darker piece along the bottom edge so that 1/4″ of lavender peeks through as shown.
- Punch two borders using the Winter Vine Border Punch from both Aqua and Platinum Shimmer Cardstock. Overlap and adhere along the lower edge of the darker waves.
- Apply the large purple mermaid foiled embellishment along the right side of the border. Add “100% Mermaid”, sand dollar and starfish foiled embellishments with Foam Squares.
- Punch a border with the Scallop Border Punch and the marbled patterned paper. Center the punched paper in the Decorative Trimmer, aligning the scallops with the left edge of the trimmer and cut. This will be your base.
- Punch a border with the Scallop Border Punch and the purple scallop patterned paper. Trim to 2-1/4″ wide. Punch the other side using the Sunshine Border Maker Cartridge. Cut a 1-1/8″ x 12″ strip of pink sparkly patterned paper and adhere to the back of the sunshine border section. Mount this piece on the base just under the first row of scallops.
- Mount the pretty pink octopus foiled embellishment with Foam Squares and add the fish, silver seaweed and “Sparkle” foiled embellishments as shown.
Bring your border production up to “scale” with these sparkling and shimmering underwater scrapbook borders. Which is your favorite border? Comment below!
18 thoughts on “Make Your Borders Shine (Literally) with the Mermaid Cove Collection”
I love the under the sea and sparkle border!! They are so BEAUTIFUL!😀
These borders are fabulous!! Thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to try them this weekend!!
I just wish I could use this border!! Ugh! My daughter is a sophomore. She is a tad bid too big. I love it though.
My daughter is a Junior but I’d still use the borders on beach pictures for her.
perfect for my granddaughters mermaid b-day I will be scrapping at Retreat next weekend
Love love love. Will be making these today!
These mermaid borders are sublime! I especially love the idea of giving the Under the Sea border dimension by using Foam Squares! I can’t wait to try this technique!
I wasn’t going to purchase this collection as it looked to be one for children, but your borders are so cute that I can’t resist. This 60+ year old woman still has some kid in her!
It’s hard to resist after seeing these adorable border ideas! :)
Love these borders so fun to make can’t wait to use them on pages
Liked the paper. Printed out the instructions. However, some of the pieces she used were not in my order. I got three orders of these and all three did not have some of the sticker on the Under the Sea. In fact, the only thing I got that is shown on the
paper is the round circle. I don’t think you should make a page and give directions on how to make it and not get everything you
I love all the borders Kristyn they are beautiful and can’t wait to make them.
Love all the mermaid borders!!!