This week, both the United States and Canada will be celebrating some national observances — Canada Day on the 1st and America’s Independence Day on the 4th. What better way to document the festivities than with a patriotic scrapbook layout decorated with a custom-made flag embellishment? Follow the instructions below to make either (or both!) of these easy layouts from just one piece of double-sided paper and watch the video to see how to make a coordinating waving flag embellishment!
To create these layouts, you will need:
- Onee (1) piece of double-sided patterned paper from either:
- Stickers from either:
- Platinum Shimmer, Scarlet & White Cardstock or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Original Border Maker System with the Clouds Border Maker Cartridge or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- 12-inch Trimmer or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- 12-inch Decorative Trimmer or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- All-Purpose Scissors or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Tape Runner or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Foam Squares or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Black Dual-Tip Pen or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
Step 1: Punch a border with the Original Border Maker System and the Clouds Border Maker Cartridge from the patterned paper. Trim to approximately 1/2″ wide x 12″ long. Repeat to create a second 1/2″ x 12″ border.
Step 2: Cut a 4″ x 12″ strip from the remaining paper.
Step 3: Cut the last piece of the remaining paper in half to create two equal strips for the top and bottom border (each will be approximately 3″ x 12″).
Step 4: Depending on what size of photos you wish to use, cut the 4″ x 12″ strip into two 4″ x 6″ photo mats OR three 4″ x 4″ photo mats.
Step 5: Place the 3″ x 12″ strips along the top and bottom edge of your base page. Place one of the border strips next to each strip as shown.
Step 6: Trim 1/4″ off from photos (3-3/4″ x 3-3/4″ OR 3-3/4″ x 5-3/4″) and mount on photo mats. Adhere to layout as shown or as desired.
Step 7: For the American Flag Embellishment:
- Cut a 2″ x 2″ square of the blue/white stars patterned paper and adhere it to the upper left hand corner of a piece of 3″ x 12″ Scarlet Cardstock.
- Cut several 1/4″ x 4″ strips of White Cardstock and adhere in striped pattern.
- Slide the top edge of flag/cardstock strips into the the 12-inch Decorative Trimmer, with the blade to the left side of the track, and cut.
- Place the bottom edge of flag/cardstock strips into the the 12-inch Decorative Trimmer, with the blade to the right side of the track, and cut.
- Cut flag at approximately 4″ with 12-inch Trimmer to trim off edges of white stripes and create the other straight edge of flag.
Step 8: For the Canadian Flag Embellishment:
- Use the remainder of the wavy strip of Scarlet Cardstock from flag above or start fresh with a 3″ x 6″ strip of Scarlet Cardstock and cut waves along top and bottom edges.
- Cut a 2″ x 3″ piece of White Cardstock and adhere it about 2″ from the edge of the Scarlet Strip.
- Flip over and trim off extra White Cardstock with All-Purpose Scissors.
- Adhere the maple leaf sticker from True North Theme Pack in the middle of the white strip.
Step 9: Use your waving flag embellishments along with other stickers to create your title and embellishment clusters on layout as shown. Add a 1/2″ strip of Platinum cardstock to mimic a flagpole if desired. Journal with Black Dual-Tip Pen directly on base page beside photos if desired.
With these easy steps you can make custom waving flag embellishments based on the flag of any country! What type of patriotic scrapbook layout will you create? Comment below and let us know!