They may be smaller than a regular 12×12 album, but 8×8 album covers sure are mighty! Speaking of 8x8s, have you placed your orders for the latest-and-greatest 8×8 albums? There are eight options for you to pick from between now and the 13th of April (or while supplies last!), including two foiled bookcloth options, Vintage Green Herringbone and Antique Red Tile, and six solid sensations in Tide Pool, Ruby, Cobalt, Chocolate, Icy Blue and Ebony! These exclusive albums are perfectly sized photo- and memory-capturing parcels, and are also fabulous as gifts, weekender projects, as a coffee table album and more! Ready to get started on a DIY 8×8 scrapbook album? Then follow along with blog contributor Krislyn Mattei as she shows you a quick and easy way to make numerous 8×8 layouts with just a few supplies and tools of your choice! Easy-peasy, 8x8s are breezy!
The perfect gift-sized 8×8 album covers are back for a limited time, so now is the time to create something special to give for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and any everyday occasion.
A few years ago I developed this easy-to-follow method for creating a simple, yet decorative 8×8 album. This method works with any paper pack and combination of Border Maker Cartridges. I’ve turned to it several times when I’ve wanted to make a small gift or specialty album, so I thought I’d share it once again with you.
This time I wanted to create a little coffee table album of some of our family’s cherished moments at the cabin. I’m using the Spring Cottage Designer Paper Pack and Stickers, as well as a few of the newest and cutest Border Maker Cartridges — Climbing Vine Chain, Gemstone Chain, Bridge and Clouds. Watch how I use a simple cutting guide to create elements I can mix and match for all the pages.
While you can easily create your album with just half a paper pack, you have more decorative options when you add in the rest of the pack. In my example below, I used the full pack of Spring Cottage papers, choosing to follow the cutting instructions for all 12 papers. I loved how the addition of a few full 8″ x 8″ pieces of paper and additional photo mats added some extra pops to my layouts.
For a look at how an album can look with half the pack, click here.
To create this 8×8 album you will need:
- 8×8 Album Cover or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia) – Only available until the 13th of April!
- 8×8 Refill Pages or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Paper Pack of Your Choice or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia) (6-12 sheets — see instructions below)
- Coordinating Stickers or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia) and/or Embellishments or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Original Border Maker System with Climbing Vine Chain, Gemstone Chain, Bridge & Clouds Border Maker Cartridges or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- 12-inch Trimmer or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Tape Runner or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Repositionable Tape Runner or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Optional: Foam Squares or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
- Optional: Dual-Tip Pen or (Shop Canada | Shop Australia)
Cutting Instructions (for Papers 1-6):
Reference this as your cutting guide for each paper you choose. Follow the steps below to see how to use it step by step.
Step 1: Cut a paper lengthwise at the 8″ mark to make 8″ x 12″ and 4″ x 12″ pieces.
Step 2: With the 8″ x 12″ piece, cut 4 inches off the long side to make 8″ x 8″ and 8″ x 4″ pieces.
Step 3: The 8″ x 8″ square will make several border pieces. (Tip: Make sure to check both sides of the paper to orient the design the way you want it before cutting.) Using the Border Maker System and Border Maker Cartridges of your choice, punch three different borders, trimming out as needed. Cut the remaining piece into strips (approximately two 1-1/2″ x 8″ strips will work).
Step 4: Cut the 4″ x 12″ strip into either one 4″ x 4″ and one 4″ x 8″ pieces OR three 4″ x 4″ squares.
Cutting Instructions (for Papers 7-12 — Optional):
- Cut a paper lengthwise at the 8″ mark to make 8″ x 12″ and 4″ x 12″ pieces.
- With the 8″ x 12″ piece, cut 4 inches off the long side to make 8″ x 8″ and 8″ x 4″ pieces.
- Keep the 8″ x 8″ square uncut to wallpaper a layout.
- Cut the 4″ x 12″ strip into either one ” x 4″ and one 4″ x 8″ pieces OR three 4″ x 4″ squares.
Now’s the fun part! Mix and match punched borders, strips and rectangles onto each of the pages. Use the 4″ x 4″ squares as photo mats or journal boxes and decorate as desired. Add stickers, mounting some with Foam Squares to make them pop. Each album will be unique, fun and oh-so-easy to put together!
Here’s a look at the way my layouts turned out.
What do you like most about this DIY 8×8 scrapbook album idea? What designer papers, Border Maker Cartridges and other products would you use to create these mini marvels? Share your thoughts and ideas with us!