Those with graduates this spring know how frenzied and full (and emotional) these last weeks leading up to graduation can be! Let your documenting of the event be the easy part. Simply grab the new Cap & Gown Collection, cardstock in your grad’s school colors and a few tools, and follow along to make some simple striking borders for your upcoming pages. Oh! And congratulations to your grad…and to you!
TIP: I’ve made a “Title Box” for each border. You may use them along with the border on your page layout, or you may instead choose to create a card instead! Simply adhere onto folded cardstock, and you have a cute Grad card to give.
To make these borders you’ll need:
- Cap & Gown Paper, Mat Pack and Stickers
- White, Gold Shimmer, Silver Shimmer, Cranberry and Royal Blue Cardstock (or your school’s colors)
- Original Border Maker System with Scallop Dot and Party Hats Cartridges
- Argyle Border Punch
- Custom Cutting System with Circle Patterns
- 12-inch Straight Trimmer
- 12-inch Decorative Trimmer
- Tape Runner with Repositionable Tape Runner Refill
- Foam Squares
“Your Future Looks Bright” Border
- Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of black hexagon paper. Cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of royal blue paper and trim off both ends at an angle as shown. Add to black border.
- Cut two 1/8″ x 12″ strips of silver shimmer cardstock. Adhere along diagonal edges of border as shown and trim off excess. Cut flag sticker in two pieces, add foam squares and place just underneath silver shimmer strips. Place “GRAD” flag sticker over one of the flags and add stars as desired.
- To make the Title Box, cut a 4-1/2″ square piece of flags paper. Trim a 4″ x 3″ piece from black stars mat, then trim top off at an angle to match border. Adhere to flags piece. Add small strips of royal and silver shimmer cardstock to bottom of mat. Finish with a grad hat sticker and stars.
“You Did It!” Border
- Using the swell edge of the decorative trimmer, cut a 2″ x 12″ strip of black hexagon paper. Cut 2 ribbons of gray marbled paper. Attach one just behind swell edge of border and the other about 1″ in from the swell edge.
- Cut seventeen 1/2″ square pieces of cranberry cardstock. Tuck behind the openings in the white hexagon sticker strip. Apply hexagon sticker strip to border between marbled gray ribbons, bending the strip as you go to match the swell edge.
- To make the Title Box, start with the marbled white/black hexagon mat. Using the swell edge of the decorative trimmer, cut a 4″ long ribbon with both gray marble and cranberry cardstock. Add to border and top with 6 “inside” hexagons leftover from the sticker strip. Finish with the “You Did It!” sticker.
“Nice Hat” Border
- Cut a 2-1/2″ x 12″ strip of royal blue cardstock. Cut a 2-1/4″ x 12″ strip of polka dot paper and adhere on top of royal border. Cut a 7/8″ x 12″ strip of royal blue cardstock and add down the middle.
- Using the scallop dot cartridge, punch a border with black stars paper. Trim to 1-1/4″ x 12″ and punch the other side. (Tip: With repositionable tape, adhere border to a larger scrap piece of paper so it can clamp into the border maker holder.) Apply over royal blue strip. Finish with a 1/8″ x 12″ strip of gold shimmer cardstock down the center.
- Using the inside of the largest circle pattern and the red blade, cut 2 circles of royal blue cardstock. With the green blade, cut 2 circles of black star paper (reserve one of each for title box). Using the blue blade, cut a circle around the “Nice Hat” part of the mat it’s on and another circle out of white cardstock (reserve). Adhere to black circle and then, using foam squares, place offset on royal circle. Add to border as shown. Add “YAY!” sticker with a foam square.
- To make the Title Box, cut a 3-3/4″ x 4-3/4″ piece of royal blue cardstock. Cut a 3-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ piece of polka dot paper and adhere on top. Assemble reserved circle shapes to match the border and add to box, lopping off a small piece as shown. Add “This is your moment”, hat & stars stickers and finally, the “OMG!” sticker with a foam square.
“Class of 2017” Border
- Cut a 2-1/2″ x 12″ strip of mosaic paper. Cut a 1-1/2″ x 12″ strip of gold shimmer paper and add to border, just in from one edge.
- Punch one argyle border each with black stars paper, cranberry and white cardstocks. Assemble the three borders with the black stars on top, then the cranberry (jogged one step below) and finally the white (jogged one step above). Trim and add to border.
- To make the Title Box, cut a black stars journal mat in half (3-1/4″ x 4-1/2″). Cut a 2-3/4″ x 4″ piece of cranberry cardstock and adhere on top. Cut a 2-1/2″ x 3-3/4″ piece of a mosaic mat to add in the middle. Apply “Class of” and stars stickers and hat and “2017” stickers with foam squares.
- Cut a 2-1/2″ x 12″ strip of brown paper. Cut a 1-1/2″ x 12″ strip of black stars paper and add on top; on top of that, a 1-1/4″ x 12″ strip of white cardstock. Add gray triangle sticker strips along top and bottom of black strip.
- Using the party hats cartridge, punch one border each of gray marble and black stars paper. Apply to middle of border, with black on top and offset from the gray, as shown.
- To make the Title Box, cut the brown “Celebration” journal box in half (3-1/4″ x 4-1/2″). Add balloons, one with foam squares.